At about the turn of the Century, the department grew to 25 regular Patrolmen,
and 25 Supernumerary Patrolmen. During this time, a telephone "Police
Call Box" system was set-up for direct communications between the beat
Patrolmen and Police Headquarters. The Call Boxes were placed at numerous
locations throughout the city with a light above the Call Box to signal a call
to the beat officer. For itís time, this was a very up-to-date communications system. A modern form of that basic system is still in use
today. Utilizing contemporary equipment, it supplements the current two-way
radio system and wireless in-car computerized communications.
In 1928, then Captain Thomas P. Murphy, made a study of fingerprint
identification, and then added that specialized service to the Department.
Captain Murphy later became the Chief of Police.
Shortly thereafter, a teletype-writer was installed at Police Headquarters.
Police Teletype System then linked the Department to 22 other police departments
throughout the State of Connecticut. A modern day computerized system now links
the Department with all law enforcement agencies in North America, and
world-wide through Interpol.
This period also saw the addition of
two "Motor patrols," which supplemented the traditional Foot Patrolmen in patrolling the streets of