1971 to 1990
21 Union St. - Norwich Police Headquarters 1953-1979
Upon request of Chief John W. Krzesicki, the City Council saw fit to add two
Lieutenants and nine additional Patrolmen to the department. This gave the
department a total of three Lieutenants. This gave the Chief the latitude
to assign Lieutenants to command positions for the Evening Patrol Shift (4pm to
Midnight), the Midnight Patrol Shift (Midnight to 8am), and to the Investigative
Division (Detective and Narcotic Units). The nine patrolmen were
added to the Patrol Division to give additional patrol coverage to the city.
During 1975, the positions of "Juvenile Officer" and
Prevention Officer" were established within the department and placed under
the Investigative (Detective) Division. The creation of these two positions earmarked
officers who were responsible for juvenile offenders and the Department’s
crime prevention activities.
Norwich Police Headquarters' relocated to 70
Thames Street, a new building designed and constructed in the mid
nineteen-seventies. The Department moved into its new facility in
After a request by Chief Richard J. Abele, an
the endorsement by the City Manager,
and the subsequent approval by the City Council, a new position of "Deputy
Chief of Police" was created. This meant that for the first time the
Department had a non-bargaining unit member as its "Second-in-Command."
The Deputy Chief’s was assigned the primary function of assisting the Chief in the
management of the department; oversee the day-to-day operations; insure high professional standards, and act in the absence of the
Chief of Police.
Due to the fulltime nature of the training requirements and mandates placed
upon a modern day police department, the City recognized a need and authorized a
new Training Unit and the position of "Training Officer". A Lieutenant
was assigned to this
full-time position has helped the department keep its hard-earned reputation as
a leader in police training in the region.
1990 to Today
Chief Louis J. Fusaro, Sr.